Concealed Weapons

Concealed Weapons License


To determine which states recognize Idaho’s CWL licenses, both regular and enhanced, the Attorney General contacts the appropriate regulating agency in each of the 50 states and territories. You may access Idaho State Police for more information on CWL license reciprocity. Idaho recognizes all other states CWL’s.

CWL agreements with other states is a work in progress and may change if statutory language changes. It is important to consider contacting the state police of any state you plan on travelling to to determine if your Idaho license will be acceptable. Some states, such as California, Oregon and New York do not recognize out of state CWL licenses. 

Idaho law allows any U.S. citizen 18 years of age or older who would normally qualify for an Idaho Concealed Weapons License to carry concealed without a license. If a person chooses to obtain a basic license for travel purposes, they must be able to demonstrate that they are familiar with firearms. This can be done in several ways, one of which is taking the Idaho Sheriffs online Handgun Safety Course.


It's important to note that an Idaho resident must possess a CWL to carry concealed any deadly weapon other than a handgun.

An E-CWL applicant must apply and complete the entire process regardless whether they possess a regular CWL license. The eight hour minimum training required for an E-CWL license can be satisfied through the NRA personal protection course; by another nationally recognized organization that customarily certifies firearms instruction; or by an instructor certified by the Idaho Peace Officers Standards and Training Council (POST). The course must be taught in person for a minimum of eight hours including Idaho law relating to firearms and the use of deadly force, basic concepts of the safe and responsible use of handguns, self defense principles, and live fire training with at least 98 rounds fired. It is important to note that the legal training must be provided by a licensed Idaho attorney or an Idaho peace officer with a minimum Intermediate POST certificate.  Applicants must apply in person.

CWL Reciprocity with Other States

  • Facebook - White Circle
  • Twitter Social Icon

Idaho Sheriffs' Association 3100 S Vista Ave Ste 203 Boise ID 83705